Before we get into your post-care instructions, let’s talk about what you can expect in terms of results. About 10%-15% of your hair in the treated area will begin to fall out on its own within the next two weeks. You may continue to shave as needed, but continue to avoid waxing, bleaching, plucking or anything that will pull your hair follicles out. Your hair will likely start to grow back in four weeks (face and neck) or six weeks (body), but after several treatments, that hair will typically be softer, finer and less dense. It is important to stay consistent with each treatment and complete your entire package for the best hair reduction results possible (up to 80%!)
- After your treatment, moisturize the treated area with a thin layer of Vaseline® or Aquaphor® at least three times daily as needed to help reduce any irritation.
- We strongly recommend you avoid direct sun exposure and tanning beds for a minimum of three days after your treatment, and always apply sunblock with SPF 50+ to the treated area any time you are outside.
- Also, use barrier protection such as wide-brimmed hats, large sunglasses and protective clothing.
- Time to reschedule your beach, spa & trainer sessions…you should avoid steam rooms, saunas, hot tubs, pedicures and exercise/sweating for 24 hours, and avoid swimming for at least three days after your treatment.
- Hold the hot baths & showers and take short, cool or lukewarm showers and avoid scrubbing or shaving the area too much. After showering, gently pat the area dry with a clean towel.
- These include harsh soaps, medicated washes, scrubs, peels, and topical prescription products, such as retinoids for at least three days. We recommend applying only Vaseline, Aquaphor, hydrocortisone 1%, or sunscreen as needed, as well as same-day makeup if you need to. Reminder: refrain from scrubbing the area!
What to Do If You Have These Common Side Effects
FOR REDNESS, SWELLING OR DISCOMFORT
Apply cool ice packs to the affected area, taking them on and off every three to five minutes for one to two hours (do not apply ice pack for more than five minutes at a time). Also, apply hydrocortisone 1%, or Aquaphor® to the affected area up to three times a day until it resolves.
We recommend taking oral liquid Benadryl®, Allegra® or Clarting® (antihistamines available over the counter) as needed, as well as applying hydrocortisone 1%, and or Aquaphor® to the affected area up to three times per day until it resolves. Also, avoid scratching the area.
FOR LASER BUMPS
These are normal and very common in areas with coarse, dense hair, and their presence indicates an effective laser treatment. Also known as folliculitis, these small bumps will resolve within a few days, and will be less intense with each subsequent treatment. To help them resolve quickly, avoid direct heat, as well as activities that cause you to sweat. Avoid picking, scratching, shaving, and tight clothing. Apply hydrocortisone 1% and Aquaphor® 3 times a day until resolved.